Prepare this Moroccan filling with pine nuts from Europe and filo from Australia to make this delicious and easy pie.
Chicken and pine nut filo pie
- 350 g small diced skinless chicken thighs
- 4 cups of finely diced Spanish onion
- ½ cup pine nuts toasted
- 50 g freshly chopped coriander
- 1 level teaspoon ginger powder
- 2 level teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 9 sheets filo pastry – 25cm x 40 cm size
- 100 g melted salted butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil EVOO
- salt and pepper
- 1 spring form 24cm baking pan
- Fry the onion with the EVOO in a large non-stick frypan, until a little coloured. Now add the chicken, ginger, cinnamon, salt and pepper to taste, stirring well. Then put a lid on the pan and cook at medium heat, lifting the lid to stir every five minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Next remove the lid and stir and cook constantly until the mix is a little dry with no juices bubbling, only oil in the bottom. Remove from the heat and add the fresh coriander and pine nuts, mixing well. Now cool the filling while you prepare your filo.
- Paint the inside of your tin with melted butter, then lay one sheet of filo into the tin and paint it with melted butter, pushing it into the shape of the tin with a brush. Also paint the filo that hangs out of the tin. Repeat this procedure with six sheets, criss-crossing each sheet and painting each one totally with the melted butter (melt more butter if you need to).
- Fill the cavity in the tin with the mixture and fold all the excess bits inwards to cover the top. Cut two filo rounds the same size as the top of the tin and paint them and press them on top of the pie. Then cut the last sheet 3cm wider where possible and, without painting it, lay it on top and poke the excess down the sides of the pie to hold everything together.
- Now paint the top with the egg yolk and sprinkle it with the nutmeg. Bake at 175°C for 45 minutes, then rest with the oven turned off and the oven door a little open for an extra 10-20 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve hot and yummy. Tonight, we dream of the kasbah.
Mondo Butcher and Grocer is located at 824 Beaufort Street, Inglewood.
They are open Tuesday to Friday 9am to 5.30pm
Saturday 8am to 2pm.
Phone 9371 6350 or visit www.mondo.net.au.