Bob’s ginger beer beef
- 1.5 kg piece of corned silverside – rump end if possible; you pay more but it is the best.
- 2 litres of ginger beer in a bottle from the shops
- 250 ml marmalade with rind in it
- 500 g carrots cut into chunky pieces
- 500 g cabbage cut into chunky pieces
- Simmer your beef in ginger beer for two to two and a half hours until it is tender to the fork. Only ginger beer is required – nothing else, it is so easy. Make sure the meat is under the ginger beer and not sitting out of it. If necessary add more ginger beer or use a smaller deeper pot.
- Take the meat out of the ginger beer when cooked and dry the fat on the meat with a paper towel. Now cover the fat with half a centimetre of marmalade and bake for 10 minutes at 200°C. In the meantime, add the carrots and cabbage to the remaining ginger beer juice and cook for 20 minutes.
- Slice and serve with mashed potato, carrots and cabbage on the side and a tablespoon of ginger beer juice over the sliced meat to wet it and more marmalade.
Back in 1983 I won the Beaut Butcher Award for WA and Bob won the Queensland award. The seven winning butchers from across the country and their wives were sent for a holiday in Thailand as part of the prize.
I sent all the other winners a telegram congratulating them. My wife and I arrived first in Thailand because of our proximity to the country, but Bob arrived at 2am in the morning and was too scared to knock on my door.
We had a great time in Thailand together, we have been the best of friends since and both of us are grandfathers now.
When Bob shared this recipe with me he used dry ginger ale but I forget that he used that and used ginger beer instead, arghh… the development of recipes…
Thanks Bob, buon appetito!
Mondo Butcher and Grocer is located at 824 Beaufort Street, Inglewood.
They are open Tuesday to Friday 9am – 5.30pm Saturday 8am to 2pm.
Phone 9371 6350 or visit www.mondo.net.au