Comfort food is winter food. Although the following recipe using lamb shanks is to die for, you can also substitute the lamb shanks with thick slices of lamb neck or thick, thick chunks of lamb shoulder (bone in).
Lamb Shanks with Vegetable Sauce
- 4 lamb shanks
- 2 cups diced onion
- 2 cups diced celery
- 2 cups diced carrot
- 2 cans chopped
- 500 ml veal or chicken stock
- salt to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- extra virgin olive oil
- seasoned flour
- Cover the lamb shanks with seasoned flour and fry in olive oil until the outside is nicely browned all over, then set the pieces aside in a warm place.
- Next fry the diced onion, celery and carrot in some olive oil until they are a little caramelized, then add the chopped and peeled tomatoes, basil and garlic and stew for 10 minutes.
- Place your lamb shanks in a deep roasting pan, cover with the sauce and add enough stock so the meat is just under the sauce and juices – literally swimming in it.
- Cover the tray with alfoil and bake for about two and a half hours at 225°C or until the meat is tender to the fork. If the sauce is too wet to serve, remove the meat and reduce the sauce on a high heat on top of the stove to a thicker consistency.
- Serve the sauce over the meat, maybe with potato mash as an accompaniment.
Mondos Butchers is located at 824 Beaufort Street, Inglewood.
They are open Tuesday to Friday 9am – 5.30pm
Saturday 8am to 2pm.
Phone 9371 6350 or visit www.mondo.net.au