I love quick easy fresh curries. Making the paste yourself from fresh ingredients creates a lot of anticipation so your saliva is flowing throughout the preparation time. The kitchen smells great and dinner guests are impatient and line up waiting. Please choose chillies to suit your guests (mild to very hot).
Ingredients for 4
- 750g free range chicken thigh fillets
- 50ml Western Australian Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 2 cans coconut milk (400 ml each)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- ½ cup fresh basil roughly chopped
Green curry paste
- 3 large green chilli’s (mild or hot)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 sticks lemon grass (white part only)
- 4 fresh coriander (stems and roots)
- 2 teaspoons grated lime rind
- 1 teaspoon of caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of shrimp paste
Cut the chicken into 1cm strips. Next chop all your vegetables and blitz all green curry ingredients in the blender to a fine paste. If need be, add 100ml of water to help make a slightly liquid paste. Now add the oil and two tablespoons of green curry paste to a non-stick frypan followed by the chicken. Cook on high heat for two to three minutes, stirring well. Now add the coconut milk, rest of green curry paste and fish sauce, stir well and lower the heat to a simmer. Cook till sauce is not so runny (about 20–30 minutes). At same time cook your rice. Now mix the basil into the chicken and remove from the heat. Serve hot chicken curry and sauce with hot rice. Yum! Yum! Yum!
Ed’s note – this is an absolutely delicious and easy curry to enjoy at home.
Vince is the proprietor of Mondos Butchers located at 824 Beaufort Street, Inglewood. They are open Tuesday to Friday 9am – 5.30pm Saturday 9am to 2pm. Phone 9371 6350 or visit www.mondo.net.au