Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 50 minutes
- 4 soft Packham pears peeled, cored and diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Juice and zest of ½ a lemon
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- ½ cup flaked almonds, lightly toasted
- ½ cup dates, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 sheets filo pastry
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Good quality vanilla bean ice cream to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- To prepare the filling, place a large saucepan over a medium high heat and add two tablespoons of butter.
- Add the pears, water, lemon juice and zest and sugar to the saucepan cook stirring occasionally until just soft and caramelised – this will take five to seven minutes.
- Remove the pears and any caramel from the saucepan and place in a large ceramic bowl.
- Add the almonds, dates, cinnamon and nutmeg and stir until combined. Set aside until required.
- Meanwhile, lightly grease a flat baking tray and place down one sheet of filo pastry.
- Brush with the melted butter, then place another sheet on top.
- Repeat with the remaining two sheets of pastry.
- Leaving about 4cm on all edges of the pastry, lay the pear mixture along the length of the pastry sheets.
- Fold over the sides and edges and roll the pastry until you reach the end.
- Brush over the remaining melted butter.
- Place the tray into the pre heated oven and cook for 45 minutes or until heated through and lightly golden.
- Slice and serve warm with lots of ice cream.