This is easy and perfect for the barbecue but works well in the oven too. The flavours are delicious and there’s no washing up if you serve in the alfoil wallet on top of a paper serviette. Preparation time is just 30 minutes; then just sit back while it cooks and everyone wants to know what’s cooking.
Make your own chimichurri sauce with a mix of dry oregano, paprika, chilli, thyme, parsley, coriander and garlic or buy a commercial one with no preservatives.
- 8 tablespoon dried Argentinean chimichurri sprinkle
- 4 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon water
- 6 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil EVOO
- Mix all Chimichurri ingredients really well, beating in a bowl using a fork or whisk then set aside for 15 minutes.
Alfoil Lamb Wallets
- 8 lamb chump chops
- 4 medium royal blue potatoes
- 2 tablespoon sage chopped
- organic WA lake salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- heavy duty alfoil
- Do your prep work – chops should be seasoned with salt and pepper then sealed on a high heat in a small amount of EVOO, one to two minutes on each side, to colour. Then cool and set aside.
- Boil the potatoes until tender then cool, peel and crush, mixing with sage. Season with salt and pepper and fry potatoes and sage in a little EVOO until the sage releases its aroma, then cool mixture.
- Using three layers of heavy duty alfoil put two tablespoons of Chimichurri marinade in centre of alfoil and cover this with a lamb chop. Now cover the chop with some potato and sage mixture and cover this with another lamb chop.
- Top with two more tablespoons of marinade, then wrap into a parcel with all the seals on top to trap the juices, a nice neat square or rectangle.
- Bake the parcels in an oven at 180°C for 30 minutes or barbecue bottom side only on medium heat for 20 minutes in centre of barbecue. Then rest for 15 minutes on the warm edge, before serving in alfoil. Don’t turn parcels over so as not to lose the juices.
Remind your guests to open the packages carefully as to not to get caught with the hot steam. It’s very yummy and bread dipping delicious.
Vince is the ambassador for Mondos Butchers located at 824 Beaufort Street, Inglewood.
They are open Tuesday to Friday 9am – 5.30pm
Saturday 9am to 2pm.
Phone 9371 6350 or visit www.mondo.net.au