Preparation: 10 minutes + 45 marinating
Cooking: 5 minutes
Serves: 4 as a side dish
- 2 tablespoon salt
- reduced soy sauce
- ¼ cup mirin (mirin is a Japanese cooking wine available from supermarkets, sweet sherry is a good substitute.)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 500g button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced diagonally
- 2 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Combine soy sauce, mirin and sugar in a large bowl. Whisk until sugar dissolves. Add mushrooms and toss well to coat mushrooms in mixture. Marinate at room temperature, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes.
- Heat a wok over a high heat. Add oil and heat until hot. Add green onions and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Using a slotted spoon, add mushrooms to wok, reserving marinade. Stir-fry mushrooms for three minutes or until golden.
- Add two tablespoons of reserved marinade to wok. Stir-fry for 30 seconds or until thick and syrupy.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with grilled beef steak or chicken and a green salad if desired.