Preparation: 15 mins
Cooking: 45 mins
Makes: 12 slices
- 4 eggs
- 200 g sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
- 200 ml vegetable oil
- 200 ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 teaspoons orange zest
- 300 g self raising flour
- icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Prepare a ring or bundt cake tin with butter and flour.
- Separate the egg white from the egg yolks.
- Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff.
- Beat the egg yolks, the sugar and the vanilla sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Slowly add the oil and continue beating until incorporated.
- Add the orange juice and zest and incorporate as well.
- Sieve the flour over the egg mixture. Fold in carefully.
- Add the egg whites and carefully fold in as well.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared dish and bake for 45 minutes.
- Make the skewer test – it should come clean out of the cake.
- Leave the cake in the pan for about 15 minutes, remove from the tin by gently going around the edges with a knife and turn it onto a plate.
- Let the cake cool completely and dust with icing sugar or cover with some orange glaze, made by mixing icing sugar with orange juice until obtaining a thick yet still pourable syrup.