Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 20 minutes
Makes 3 – 4 cups
Ingredients for orange marmalade:
- 4 Navel oranges
- marmalade sets best if fruit is not too ripe.
- 1 lemon
- 200ml water
- 3 cups sugar
- Thinly slice fruit.
- Place in two litre microwave safe jug or bowl.
- Add water.
- Microwave on high for 10 minutes to soften the fruit.
- Add sugar. Stir to dissolve.
- Then microwave on high for 10 minutes then on medium high for a further 10 minutes (watch carefully to ensure it doesn’t boil over).
- By this time it should have reached gel point.
- A teaspoon of marmalade on an icy cold saucer should set.
- Cool a little.
- Pour into sterilised jars.
- Cover and label when cool.
Get creative and try any other citrus fruit. Replace oranges with three pink grapefruit, six lemons or 1.5 litres of cumquats (quartered). For cumquat marmalade: Remove the seeds from the cumquats and soak them overnight in the 200 ml water to extract the pectin. Add the pectin water into the fruit before cooking.