Preparation: 20 minutes; cooking: 50 minutes; serves: 12
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- ⅔ cup castor sugar
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups finely grated carrot (2 or 3 carrots)
- 3 red apples, skin on, core removed. Finely diced or grated
- ½ cup sultanas
- ½ cup walnuts
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease a 20 cm diameter ring tin and line the base with greased paper or baking paper.
- Beat together eggs, vanilla, sugar and orange rind.
- Add oil.
- Beat well.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, spices and salt.
- Fold dry ingredients into egg mixture, then mix in grated carrot, apple, sultanas and walnuts.
- Spread into prepared tin.
- Bake at 180°C for about 50 minutes.
- Cool in tin for 10 minutes, then turn on to a wire rack until completely cool.
- Dust with icing sugar to serve.